Page 232 of 232 FirstFirst ... 132182222230231232
Results 2,311 to 2,317 of 2317

Thread: 348 DIY "Restoration"

irarref is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Jeff

In the past I've tried to either file/sand the paint off or hand paint the script but never ever been happy with it so this time I thought I would try a different approach. What I did was put some strips of masking tape over the lettering then pressed the tape down into the gas then sanded the tape off. I then put a plastic bag round the caliper and then taped it up so just the script was showing.

Name:  IMG_3380.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  56.6 KB

This was just before painting. As you can see if you just sand the letters without painting the finish is a bit inconsistent.

Name:  IMG_3381.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  62.2 KB

After first coat

Name:  IMG_3382.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  64.2 KB

After 2nd coat...

Name:  IMG_3384.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  63.2 KB

After removal of the bag

Name:  IMG_3386.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  49.0 KB

Starting to remove the masking tape - a nervous moment!!!!

Name:  IMG_3387.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  50.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3388.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  48.3 KB

After the main tape was removed I used a pin to pick out the bits that didn't come away with the main tape.

Name:  IMG_3389.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  41.8 KB

Voila - all done and looking pretty neat - this is a closeup so not that flattering

Name:  IMG_3391.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  51.4 KB

But from more than a few inches away looks perfect. Only problem now is that I have re-do the other 3! :-(

Name:  IMG_3396.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  91.9 KB

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Looks good, Jeff

Terry is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Expert
    Name
    Terry

Very creative Jeff, excellent results

I have some spare calipers so may try your technique.
    Last edited by Terry; 26-01-2020 at 10:23 AM.

Name
    Jeff

It works really well Terry - the photos don't do it justice at all - looks pretty much perfect in real life :-)

Just to recap....

Caliper was sprayed with red K2 caliper paint (off eBay) then left for about a week to really harden off.

I then rubbed down the lettering area with a lollipop stick wrapped with wet and dry to remove most of the red paint.

Then applied the blue 3M tape across all the lettering and lines trying to make the overlap as little as possible. Really press it down hard with your fingers into the gaps etc so it will be hidden from the sanding action. I also taped off the area around it in case your sanding paper catches the caliper and scratches it.

Then just sanded with the lollipop stick again with a reasonable aggressive grade til just the letters showed (as in above photos). Any nicks in the masking tape just cut out a very small piece of tape and apply it as a patch then manipulate it with a knife or finger nail to push it into the crevices.

It was then sprayed with silver K2 caliper paint - just a couple of light coats.

Name
    Jeff

Just thought I'd mention another technique that I tried last night on a scrap caliper....

This involves applying some PVA release agent that you normally use when making fiberglass parts from molds. You just brush/spray on and it sets as a film that can be peeled/washed away after. This is the stuff:

https://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co....-release-agent

So I'm using my old RHS caliper that I replaced with a new one a few years back hence the scruffy condition. Should of painted it red beforehand but I'm just testing the technique so there you go.

Name:  IMG_3401.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  70.2 KB

Using the PVA release agent I brushed on quite a generous coating BTW its coloured blue so you can see where it's been applied.

Name:  IMG_3402.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  76.3 KB

Just to speed things up I used a hair dryer to accelerate the drying time so here's it all dry and ready.

Name:  IMG_3403.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  73.5 KB

I then used a lollipop stick wrapped in wet and dry again to sand away the pva from the letters, lines and arrow.

Name:  IMG_3404.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  59.8 KB

A few shots once the coating has been sanded off. Nice thing about this method is if you missed a bit you could always dab a bit more on and just sand that bit again so in this respect I prefer this method.

Name:  IMG_3405.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  77.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3406.jpg
Size:  78.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3407.jpg
Size:  58.0 KB

The rest of the caliper was taped off - just used masking tape this time as it was only a half of caliper (more about that later).

Name:  IMG_3408.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  70.8 KB

Once dry - should be left overnight but I was impatient! - it can be washed off using water and a toothbrush ideally (so you can get in the nooks and crannys) just leaving the lettering.

Name:  IMG_3410.jpg
Size:  49.9 KB

Here's the 2 calipers together - masking tape methods on top, lower one was done with pva. The masking tape one just has the edge although the fact the caliper is scruffy might be clouding my judgement so may try it again as I was a bit impatient waiting for things to dry etc.

Name:  IMG_3409.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  67.0 KB

Just a reminder of the masking tape method. Certainly beats hand painting which is what I've been trying to do in the past :-(

Name:  IMG_3411.jpg
Size:  42.0 KB

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

Looks superb Jeff.

Name
    paul

+1 Jeff, great job as always